Now before you ride my ass and tell me that this isn’t actually from scratch: I know, I’m not a coffee bean farmer or whatever those wonderful saviors call themselves. What this hack or recipe entails is essentially making coffee without the standard equipment necessary. I don’t own a Keurig machine, nor do I own a coffee maker.
But when we don’t have time to go into town for Starbucks and I still need my caffeine fix, this is what we do. In this video, it was my very first attempt at making coffee this way, so you are seeing my reaction in “real time”, as it were.
Depending on how strong you like your coffee, you want 2 tablespoons per cup. I used my mug to measure 2 and a half cups of coffee and put in two “heaps” (according to the measuring spoon) of coffee.
- Boil your water (again, it depends on how much you want to make, but remember there will be coffee grounds at the bottom so you won’t actually be consuming the entire pot of coffee).
- Grind up your coffee beans (unless you buy coffee grounds, then skip this step) in either a blender or food processor, whatever you have around. If nothing, put the grounds in a bag and smash it with a hammer/meat tenderizer/etc.
- When your water is boiling, pour in your coffee grounds and immediately remove the pot from the burner. Cover the top with a plate, a lid, whatever you have around, really.
- Give it time to steep, about five minutes.
- Pour your coffee into your favorite mug and enjoy!
It takes a bit more time and effort than a coffee machine, but if I’m being honest I really like to save money and if I have to spend an extra 10 minutes in the morning to make coffee, I’m DOWN.
If you enjoy these videos/posts, subscribe to my youtube account or follow this blog. If there’s anything you’d like me to cover in my videos or blog, leave me a comment below!